Saturday, July 17, 2010

Story as a Smart Tools of Parenting

I have a very interesting experience, when I first taught. I were invited by a friend to teach in a school is quite remote. I was asked to replace the first-grade teacher who did not go for several months due to maternity leave. Previously unimaginable for me to teach in remote schools and immediately asked to teach in class. If teaching in a high class, maybe not a problem. Imagine a male teacher teaching in class! What will happen? During this one teaching the class is female teacher, because the more patient and more flexible.

I am faced with a situation where one class of children that I face is the children who truly innocent, yet know nothing. Unlike the first-graders in urban areas, they generally are graduates Kindergarten that the majority could read, write and count. In remote rural areas, children really can not read, write and do arithmetic. Let alone read, recognize letters just yet, because they do not derive from kindergarten. Seeing the fact that I faced, I remain optimistic.

After considering various ways, I finally decided for the first two weeks, I do not teach kids reading, writing, or arithmetic. But I took the kids to listen to various stories. During the week I fairytale stories, but generally it is a story that I bring the funny-funny stories, stories that contain elements of education. I play along with them. I did not bring them into my world, but I am the one who enters their world.

There are some women who told me that her daughter is half past five was up at dawn, not as usual, then asked for a shower and fit school uniforms, the children she can not wait to hear new stories from the teacher.

After the children have felt attracted to the story, began to be interested to the teacher, began to like the school atmosphere, from where I started to educate children that was innocent. With my story method to teach reading, writing and arithmetic, and include other education elements, such as religious values, ethics, character, and others without children are taught to feel, without feeling forced.

Sometimes we forget the rights of the child to feel comfortable in doing something. We are too imposing our will to the children. Sometimes we force children to become this or be that, should this, to be so. And we too often unwittingly give burden to our children to reach certain targets, such as, "You have to be a champion!" Or "you do NOT make ashamed mommy and daddy!" There is a very heavy mental burden that must be shouldered by the children. Children with a compulsion to do something, not with awareness and responsibility.

I see that children are now much smarter, quicker to understand something, do not like kids "old days". Children today tend to be more mature in his thinking patterns, and even more open. If we want child for this, then we must give an explanation why he should be like this. If we want children do so, then we lay out the reasons and explanations why should not be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment